Although Toronto-based Chris Levett is best known for his video work (if you haven’t seen Ashley for Ashley, you should really check it out), he’s also been quietly assembling a great archive of personal photography. Somewhere along the line Chris picked up a point and shoot from Value Village and started snapping, taking full advantage of his ‘behind the scenes’ access working in film. Chris has a knack for making people feel extremely comfortable, so whether it’s in or out of the studio, his images capture things and people just as they are. – M.G
1. Why do you take photos?
For myself, Often I take pictures and don’t show people. Sometimes I just have them for me. I feel like I don’t have to put them out in the universe right away. The idea that I’ve captured a moment in time means that its saved forever and there is no rush to put it on a website or in print.
2. Do you carry your camera with you everywhere you go?
3. What celebrity would you like to shoot most?
4. What animal would you like to be, if not a human?
5. What is your favorite smell?
Smell of pine trees when it gets hot in the summer, campfires. I spent a lot of time outside in wilderness when I lived in the Yukon, will always enjoy the outdoors and fresh smells.
6. Would you like to live forever?
Maybe, under the right circumstances, It’s a hard question to answer because I still have so much more to do.
7. What do you think is the best photo you have ever taken to date?
I went to an alligator farm in Florida and I took a picture of a tiger in a cage that was far to small for it and it wouldn’t stop pacing back and fourth although it was sort of sad it’s one of my favourite pictures.
8. What’s your favorite pastime?
Making tie dye and bleach dye clothes, trying to fix things that are broken.
9. Do you like having your photo taken?
10. Who are your favorite photographers, currently?
Adam Levett, Kristie Muller , Garry Winowgrand
© 2019 The Editorial Magazine