Shaun Lucas is a NY-based photographer currently fascinated with documenting the Midwestern and Southern areas of the US. Here we Shoot the Breeze alongside some images from his series, Appalachee Church Rd, an intimate exploration of culture in Auburn, Georgia using his partner’s conservative family as subjects, and their home environment as backdrop.
Through a posed woman in a cozy, conventional kitchen, or another sitting in a washroom holding a rifle, Lucas’ photos work by juxtaposing the gentle mundanity of these people in their intimate settings with the pervasiveness of guns and gun culture in their lives. – Cynthia Or
2. Do you carry your camera with you everywhere you go?
Well that really depends on where I am going or if I am traveling. Most of my work comes about by me scouting an area/town/location and going there to execute it. When I am there my camera is glued to my side. These days I tend to carry my camera with me less, especially now that I switched to the Mamiya RZ.
3. What celebrity would you like to shoot most?
My fantasy has always been Miley Cyrus.
4. What animal would you like to be, if not a human?
Dog. I would be a Saint Bernard, hands down.
5. What is your favorite smell?
Pine trees mixed with the smell of burning wood.
6. Would you like to live forever?
Hahah. No thank you.
7. What do you think is the best photo you have ever taken to date?
I think I would have to pick an image I took in Las Vegas of the flamingo hotel pool party.
8. What’s your favorite pastime?
Traveling and listening to music. They usually go hand in hand.
9. Do you like having your photo taken?
I mean I don’t get excited about it. If someone takes my photo I can guarantee you I will not smile.
10. Who are your favorite photographers, currently?
Steven B Smith, Richard Renaldi, Lauren Greenfield, Erwin Wurm
© 2019 The Editorial Magazine