Iranian-British photographer Rosaline Shahnavaz’s portraits make you feel like you’ve stepped into her private memories. Her new photo book, Aleko, documents her intimate relationship with her muse, who is often pictured staring straight into the lens as though you’ve been caught spying. Together Aleko and Rosaline push the boundaries of the photographer-subject relationship. Here we look at some photos from Aleko as well as some of our favorite work from Rosaline. –TC
1. Why do you take photos?
I fell in love with my camera when I was 15 and I’ve found it hard to put it down ever since. It feels natural now.
2. Do you carry your camera with you everywhere you go?
I guess it’s inevitable now with smart phones but I do like to carry a 35mm point and shoot with me most of the time.
3. What celebrity would you like to shoot most?
Chloe Sevigny would be fun, she has a lot of energy and character.
4. What animal would you like to be, if not a human?
5. What is your favorite smell?
6. Would you like to live forever?
7. What do you think is the best photo you have ever taken to date?
The latest ones, they’re always the most exciting
8. What’s your favorite pastime?
Going to the movies
9. Do you like having your photo taken?
Depends who is taking it. I prefer being behind the lens.
10. Who are your favorite photographers, currently?
Mark Brothwick. I also love Juergen Teller but I’m a bit confused about Kim and Kanye… Is he taking the piss? I think so.
© 2019 The Editorial Magazine